Saturday, November 5, 2011

Day 5: First-tier sushi

So, today, my orchestra stand partner and I went out for sushi and then to the LA Phil to hear Yuja Wang perform. I wish I could say it's the first time I've heard the LA Phil, but I went to listen to Hilary Hahn last year. That being said, I can't discount how invigorating and fleeting live music is. It was absolutely breathtaking.

Instead, I will talk about the sushi. Now I love sushi. It's my favorite food. And unfortunately, often times I will get cravings for it, which I attempt to satiate, but instead only plant the seed of thought in my head "Wow, that was really good. I could sure go for some again." My appetite for it has caused me to forego quality. I mean, I can tell the differences between standard sushi and really bad sushi, but for the most part, I don't care too much.

My stand partner, though, is a self-proclaimed sushi snob, and insisted on taking me to what he considered the best sushi in LA. I was mostly curious if I'd be able to tell the difference. I tried to eat each piece slowly and focus on what was different. To me, the biggest thing I noticed was how fresh all the fish was, resulting in good textures, even in the skin.

We decided to splurge for the day, so we tried anything I hadn't tried before and was curious. This included monkfish liver, tuna belly, and yellowtail belly. My stand partner even recommended the sea urchin, which I've gotten lots of times, but rarely as fresh as today's. Overall, a very fun new experience! Although LA Phil won me out for the night, I definitely had a great time.

No comments:

Post a Comment